The holidays are such a great time to have all kinds of parties. In south Florida, it is especially fun to have a pool party on New Year’s Eve.
There are 10 things that you should keep in mind when having a party around your pool. There is generally more drinking at a New Year’s Eve party so you should be more aware of safety around your pool.
1. Make sure there is adequate lighting around the pool, including outside the pool enclosure. You can hang lights on your pool, screened patio, or lanai enclosure.
2. Repair any loose tiles or holes on the deck.
3. Repair any loose screens on your pool or patio enclosure. Repair any loose parts of the enclosure frame. Make sure the screen doors open and close easily.
4. Make sure there are enough sober people looking out for the safety of others.
5. Try to control the amount of alcohol that is consumed.
6. Check to see if someone is suddenly missing. Check the pool often.
7. Arrange the pool furniture so as it will be easy for people to move around the pool without accidentally falling into the pool.
8. Keep sharp objects away from the pool. If the sharp objects falls into the pool it looks distorted, especially at night. It is dangerous to try to get the sharp object out of the pool and even more dangerous for people to swim with sharp objects in the water.
9. Try not to serve food or drinks in glass. Use plastic, if possible. It is very dangerous for people if broken glass is on the pool deck, and even worse, when broken glass is in the pool.
10. Encourage your guests to have a designated driver.
We had a very good friend who drowned because of over drinking and no one noticed he was missing until it was to late.
Better to be Safe.